Re: Laptop recomendation?

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 11:10 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Friday 31 December 2004 20:51, Mark M wrote:
> >
> > 1. What gotachas are there? eg. I have found out about a partition you
> > should keep intact for hibernation mode. Is this OS independant? Or
> > only for MSwindows? Is there anything else I really need to know (of
> > course I will be installing debian on it).
>
> Yes, it's only for Windows, but it's also machine dependent.  Some machines
> don't use them.

Hm, I always thought Windows uses hibernation files...

In any case, the hibernation partition might be needed by to BIOS to do
a supend to disk. The older pre-ACPI phoenix BIOS did this for example.
But if you buy a new laptop, it will most likely have ACPI (where
suspend to disk is managed by the OS rather the BIOS).

> > 3. Battery life: I am hoping to use the laptop for 2 things: 1. video
> > editing/dvd burning from camera with firewire. 2. Using on longdistance
> > flights (but not video editing). I guess for video/burning dvd's I want
> > a fast processor eg the pentium M 3GHz. But for extended battery life I
> > want a slower low power processor.
>
> No, you want a powerbook.  PPCs _look_ slower if you only look at the clock
> frequency, but they run much cooler and, generally, faster than intels.

Or a centrino (Pentium M).

cheers,
Hp.

--
Hanspeter Kunz                  Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                   Department of Information Technology

Spamtraps: hkunz.bogus@ailab.ch hkunz.bogus@ifi.unizh.ch
---
Scintillation is not always identification for an auric substance.