Re: Laptop recomendation?

* Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> [05-01-01 12:26]:

> I have 7 IBM's ad will never change it...
> The smallest is a TP760ED (233 MHz, 128 MB memory and 8 GB HDD), the
> one R40 (1300MHz, 1 GB memory and 20 GB HDD) and since 4 days a T70
>
> They are very robust...
>
> [...]
>
> Forget 3 GHz laptops and long Battery life.  All labtops more then
> 1,6 GHz are only remplacments for Workstations and not realy for mobil
> use. I have an runtime of around 4 Hours with my TP760ED, 3 Hours with
> my R40 and 2 Hours with my T70.
>
> [...]
>
> The laptop do this its own. If you are on Batery, mostly you will have
> between 800 and 1200Mhz.

Bought my Thinkpad R40 two years ago and am totally happy with it :)
Got the "long-life" battery (6hrs). If that's not enough, I take out
my DVD drive and plug in a second battery which will give me another
5-6 hours. Makes a total of about 11 hours. Guess that's enough for
even very long distance flights :)

But even without the extra battery it is enough to watch two dvds
while driving in the train from stuttgart to dresden (here in
germany).

What's more: Thinkpads are very silent. Not like other laptops where
one can get the impression a jet is starting when the fan starts
working as the cpu is getting hot.

Thinkpads now work perfectly with linux! I installed woody when I
got it and updated to sarge some months later. With kernel 2.6.10 I
have no probs at all with APM. ACPI is a bit tricky but it works.

Advised a friend of mine some time ago to also buy a Thinkpad and so
he did (he got an R50) and he is as happy as I am.

Just to consider... :)

grZ
Dani