Re: Laptop recomendation?

For my .02 FRN,

I am right now using a Sony PCG-GRT170. It's a wonderful machine, but
it suffers from all the "unique" aspects of a Sony Vaio machine.
Almost none of the special keys work, hardware volume control, stuff
like that. It all worked under WinXP, which it came with, of course.

But it has a 15" nVidia AGP driven screen, DVD/CD writer, great sound,
etc etc etc. I like it, but I had to fiddle with it to get all the
primary hardware working.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ is a good reference, you can look up
a model you like and see what other people have done to get theirs
working. Don't forget to contribute your own experiences.

http://www.linuxcertified.com/ Linux Certified and

http://www.emperorlinux.com/ Emporer Linux

sell laptops with Linux pre-installed, including Debian. It sort of
takes the fun out of it, but it takes out the stress too.

I will echo what others have said about the IBM laptops. They are
indeed built like tanks. I never got a taste for the red-eraser
joystick, however, so I didn't buy one.

Also, I liked the challenge of the Sony Vaio. I know it's sick of me,
still I like to know that I'm running nasty cutting-edge stuff
sometimes. I'm also thinking about home-building a dual-Athalon
server for no good reason, just to play with SMP.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history