Re: Problem getting my Crystal 4237b sound card to work

On Thursday 30 December 2004 16:53, Alexander Toresson wrote:
> I tried running alsaconf, only to find out that it didn't exist on my
> system.

Well, yeah.  So install it....

> So I fired up aptitude to find it. It was a virtual package.
> It took some time to understand that I couldn't install that virtual
> package and that it was replaced by alsa-utils.

??? Of course you can install a virtual package.  They depend on the real
packages.

apt-get install alsaconf
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting alsa-utils instead of alsaconf
alsa-utils is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Works for me.

> So I downloaded it,
> and to my surprise, it was depending on the package alsa-base, which I
> then had to configure. Isn't alsa built into the kernel 2.6 and later?

You apparently haven't heard of apt-get...  Yes, alsa _modules_ are built into
2.6, but you still need alsa-base to configure them.  apt-get would get the
dependencies.
--
derek