Re: WLAN PCMCIA + USB Bluetooth under Deb

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 12:45, Hans Kaiser wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I got irriteted searching and trying different WLAN and Bluetooth products.
> Maybe this list could help.
>
> I need following WLAN-features:
> - good support under linux (debian) ideally with open source drivers
> directy from the vendor.
> - good support for network analysis (kismet, airsnort and so on)
> - ideally support for 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands, but the 5GHz isn't much
> important
> - support for 11MBps, 54Mbps (if possible on both bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
> - if available in Europe/Germany, even if not allowed a 200mW Card
> - support for an external antenna
I would go for the Senao cards, they have both Prism and Atheros based
cards (but not Prism54 I think), they have external antennae and go up
to 200mW (but not in Europe).  Although the drivers are not written by
Senao there is very good support using the hostap and madwifi drivers.
Actually having the drivers from the card vendor makes little sense, you
need it from the chip vendor, and the Atheros certainly encouraged the
development of the madwifi driver, and somewhere along the line
Intersil (who then owned prism) released enough information for the
hostap driver to be written.

In Germany, try Freebird as a supplier for these cards.

David