Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

norton@ic.unicamp.br wrote:
2. I do not want my machine to be a sandbox for other developers.  I
do not want to update my machine only to find that something has been
changed or is now broken.  Hence, my reason for being on FC2 with an
outdated kernel for so long.  It works;;

well, I must say taht I run debian sarge in a laptop and everything
works... and I even have an apache server running (I know, I know...
pretty stupid at first glance, but it really made my life easier)

3. I do not necessarily need the most bleeding edge software.  In wait
until it's fully baked; and,

I pretty much think like that... that's why I'm still waiting for the new
X to become a .deb

4. I want a distro with a solid developer and user community backing it.

Well, it seems that both fedora and debian fill in...

I am the typical M$ developer, in the process of moving to Linux.

good to hear that 8-)

need to be able to concentrate first on understanding the underlying
OS and to be able to code for it.  I would rather do this on a stable
platform so if something breaks, that I did it.

well, debian has been really stable in my laptop... although sometimes
some sites destroy my mozilla and bring down X with it... cool... but I
guess that has nothing to do with debian...

As I write this, and read what I am writing, I am quite tempted to go
and pay for Red Hat WS.  However, I just cannot bring myself to do
that so easily.  The last time I paid them money was for a retail copy
of RH9 only to find out two weeks later that they killed it off for
Fedora.

I started my linux life with debian potato. Then, I had to give away my
computer and got one from the university. It was running RH9. As I said
before, I've installed FC1 and FC2 in my laptop and had some problems...
then I moved back to debian and everything is fine...

I noticed that you had some concern about compiling the kernel... I DID
not have to compile the kernel so far, but my modem is a winmoden and in
order to get the driver, I'll have to compile it... but I'd have to do it
anyway in any distro...

My advice is go for deb... it really worked with me...

P.S. As you are a developer, I think I should tell you that the C++
version of Kylix sucks! In each and every distro! So be prepared for it.

Your thoughts?

Thanx,
Ryan

I've played with some of the distros out there. (Debian Woody and Sarge, Slackware 10.0, RH9, FC2, FC3, FreeBSD 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.3, Knoppix, SUSE 9.0 and 9.1, Morpix) I've pretty much given up on Debian. The installer has too many problems. Once you get to the point of cataloging your CDs, it can't find my CD ROM on any laptop. (2 Toshiba Satellites and 2 Gateway Solos) And my external CD ROM is useless with this distro.

I actually did get Sarge installed on an 8 year old Gateway Solo laptop once. But after formatting the hard drive, and re-partitioning it while experimenting with another system, I could not repeat the install process with Woody or Sarge on the same computer.

On the computer which I had Sarge installed on, I could not access any SCSI devices, which I had several of. It also seemed to easy to corrupt the system by installing the wrong program from one of the downloaded CDs. It would also loose track of it's installation source (The CD ROM) and not be able to find it. I finally came to a point of giving up on Debian when it would not install correctly on a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite. The installer had the same problems on this computer.

As for Fedora Core? FC3 runs well on my 2 year old Toshiba. FC3 is a big step up from FC2, but it still has a few bugs. (Which doesn't appear to be uncommon with any version of Linux) It runs slow on my 8 year old Gateway Solo. RH9 runs better on the 8 year old Gateway.

My thoughts in general, Linux and FreeBSD has been a year long frustrating experiment. The different versions of Linux and BSD have good qualities. But there doesn't seem to be any follow-through to completion. Everything gets re-directed in mid-stream to a new idea. And the computer people who are writing these programs don't even know how to explain what is happening with their programs to a non-geck. Documentation is a joke. (Sarge comes with 14 CDs. People like me have no idea what most of those programs are or how they are supposed to be used.) Everything refers to another document, which may or may not exist. Or the other document is completely outdated. I think that Red Hat did have the best documentation, but that disappeared with Fedora.

I think that Knoppix is probably the best distro, but FC3 comes in right afterwards, and RH9 follows that. I might have a more favorable opinion of Debian if it installed correctly, if it supported more hardware out of the box, if it allowed me to log in as 'Root' (Which I sometimes need), and if the software on the CDs worked without corrupting the operating system.

But as you can see, my thoughts are not limited to Debian. I feel that entire Linux scene is like a toy where children get things almost done, then they loose interest and try to pass the buck on to someone else.

I may be a dreamer, but I have hopes that Linux will mature.

--

Lloyd Hayes

Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/