Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 07:25 +0100, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 26 December 2004 06:40, Tim Ebenezer wrote:
> > Hi Again,
>
> > I built my kernel from source without it. Debian has a very unique great
> > way of installing a kernel. First apt-get kernel-source-2.6.x (x being
>
> Shouldn't that be apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.x?
>
> > the version you want), then go to /usr/src, and usr tar -xvjf to untar
> > the source file, then go into the directory, apt-get install make-kpkg,
>
> Huh? Don't you mean apt-get install kernel-package?
>
> There is no make-kpkg package.

No, it's called "kernel-package", but there is such a command, and it's
damned useful to use to build customised kernel packages.

$ apt-cache show kernel-package
Package: kernel-package
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 1268
Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 8.117
Depends: perl, dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev (>= 1.4.0.9), gcc | c-compiler, make
Recommends: libc6-dev | libc-dev
Suggests: kernel-source, libdb3-dev, libncurses-dev, docbook-utils
Filename: pool/main/k/kernel-package/kernel-package_8.117_all.deb
Size: 348468
MD5sum: e61f198598c80444e418f58b41522cb1
 This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
 package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
 directory tree.  It can also package the relevant kernel headers into
 a kernel-headers package. In general, this package is very useful if
 you need to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default
 kernel does not support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner,
 meaner kernel.  It also scripts the steps that need be taken to
 compile the kernel, which is quite convenient (forgetting a crucial
 step once was the initial motivation for this package). Please look at
 /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Rationale.gz for a full list of advantages
 of this package.
 .
 If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
 custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
 need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other platforms).

> I would recommend you use aptitude to get both kernel-package and
> kernel-source at the same time. Then you can unpack it like you describe,
> configure it and make it. Then use dpkg -i to install.

Nope, using make-kpkg is more flexible than that - by a long shot, and
not least when it comes to needing modules from another package built
and installed as Debian packages alongside your own build.

Merry Xmas,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
     A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Shaw