Re: Dell 700m Touchpad problem - TAP isn't recognized

Ben,

asuming dells use synaptics touchpad, which it certainly sounds like, compile
in a synaptics driver, or install the synaptics deb ( i found compiling it to
be simple and reliable).
apt-cache search synaptics yields (on Sid) :
cpad-kernel-dev - Kernel header for the Synaptics cPad driver
cpad-kernel-source - Source for the Synaptics cPad driver
ksynaptics - A KDE application to configure Synaptics TouchPad
qsynaptics - A QT application to configure Synaptic TouchPad
tpconfig - configure touchpad devices
xfree86-driver-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for XFree86 server
helpful links:
http://tuxmobil.org/dell.html
http://tuxmobil.org/touchpad_driver.html
relevant bits of my xf86config-4 below:)

romana:)

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "synaptics"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Synaptics Mouse"
        Driver        "synaptics"
        Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
        Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
        Option        "LeftEdge"      "1700"
        Option        "RightEdge"     "5300"
        Option        "TopEdge"       "1700"
        Option        "BottomEdge"    "4200"
        Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
        Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
        Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
        Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
        Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
        Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.06"
        Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.12"
        Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
        Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
        #  Option       "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
#       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse""AlwaysCore"
#       InputDevice     "Generic Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Mouse"  "CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666

--