Re: NTFS mount in Debian Sarge Testing

At Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:03:22 -0800,
Benedek Frank wrote:

> On Sunday 12 December 2004 08:41 pm, Shreyas Ananthan wrote:
> > "Shaikh Quader" <ssquader@msn.com> writes:
> > > I am trying to mount an Windows XP ntfs partition under Debian Sarge
> > > (kernel version  2.6.8-1-386) release. I couldn't find the ntfs driver
> > > for debian at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where I can find the ntfs driver for my system?
> >
> > If you just need to read from the NTFS partition, debian kernel does have a
> > module for that. try
> >
> > modprobe ntfs
> >
> > and then mount the ntfs partition.
> Or you can build your Kernel with the NTFS compiled in, and then you can just
> mount ntfs easily
>
> mount -t ntfs /dev/hda3 /ntfs  --> where hda3 is the NTFS partition, and /ntfs
> is the directory you want it to be mounted at.
>
> You can write to NTFS with newer kernels, but it is still in developement. You
> have to compile the kernel with support for writing to NTFS though.

You can only change existing files without changing their size, you can't create
new files or append to files, etc. Its mainly useful for holding a filesystem
image on an ntfs partition.

If you need to do proper writing to an ntfs partition the only current solution
is the captive project

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/