diagnosing devastating startup failure

Hello laptopers,

I recently replaced the hard drive in my hp omnibook 4100.  Everything
sent fine at first, but when I went to reboot this morning power dies
even before the BIOS screen comes on.  This happens even when I have a
bootable KNOPPIX rescue disk in the cd tray.

I am worried that I may have damaged the fragile HD chassis cable when I
changed disks; but I'm loathe to takei t back out again b/c every time
I open & shut it I worry more.  Does anyone out there recognize this
problem, & can you give any advice on what to do?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User