suspend, power save or saving, hibernate mode in Indpiron 5160

I am trying to make some sense of these modes in Dell Inspiron 5160. I am using ACPI (with acpid) and it seems to regulate the fan(fan is really quit often) and tells me about the battery status. But I am not sure if the suspend/hibernate/power saving modes work.

1) how do I test for these?

2) Second, do I need these option for these modes to work(they are commented out in my current kernel.)?
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_PM_DISK=y
CONFIG_PM_DISK_PARTITION="/dev/hdc12"

3) This website gives some different options http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/Software-suspend-2.html#ss2.1 :
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y

What is this all about?

4) Whis is better, apm or acpi?

5) Does the closing the lid and making the laptop go to suspend/hibernate work?

Thanks,
->HS