Re: Synaptics Touchpad (again!...) X ok / console ko

Juraj Ziegler wrote (Wed 2004-Oct-06 10:33:26 +0200):

> >    - IN TEXT MODE: gpm works only with
> >    device=/dev/[psaux|input/mice|input/event0], type=imps2|autops2,
> >    losing tap functionality, third button, ecc. If I try with
> >    type=syn|synps2 and enable debugging (-D) and error printing (-e), I
> >    see a lot of "error read()ing: couldn't find file" messages.
> >
> >Anyone can help?
>
> Try adding "psmouse.proto=imps" parameter to the kernel...

Oh, what a glorious day! Thanks for that hint.

For the record and those people using "psmouse" as a module: Try
unloading the module ("modprobe -r psmouse"), then load it with
the parameter suggested ("modprobe psmouse proto=imps"). My gpm
is reading from "/dev/psaux" with "-t imps2" and now works again
just like it did back in the good old days using a kernel
<2.6.1.

The cleanest way to permanently change this setting would
probably be a change to some file below "/etc/modutils" -- can
anyone help? Adding a line "psmouse proto=imps" to
"/etc/modules" would be a simple way to start with.

Cheers,

Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/