[hp pavilion ze4222] cd writer issue

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the list and relatively new to debian. I'd been using some debian based distros (knoppix, kanotix, mepis, dsl) for some time and now, finally, I switched to Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.8-1) thanks to its fantastic net installer.

BUT...

now I have some problems that I had never experienced with other distros.

First off the cd writer (others will come...)

My cd-rw doesn't work, it can only read cds (with other distros it worked fine save for cleaning cdrw...). I don't understand what the problem is and I don't know where to start from to find a solution, so here I am!

During boot the machine finely detects my cd writer/dvdrom:
hdc QSI CD-RW/DVD SBW-241 ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE
but then it only works as reader. I tried cdrecord -scanbus and this is what I got:

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

Then:

# cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

scsidev: 'ATA:'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus1:
       1,0,0   100) 'QSI     ' 'CDRW/DVD SBW-241' 'VX08' Removable CD-ROM
       1,1,0   101) *
       1,2,0   102) *
       1,3,0   103) *
       1,4,0   104) *
       1,5,0   105) *
       1,6,0   106) *
       1,7,0   107) *

I edited my /etc/default/cdrecord like this (only relevant lines):
CDR_DEVICE=cdrw
# drive name    device    speed    fifosize driveropts
#
teac=        1,3,0    -1    -1    ""
panasonic=    1,4,0    -1    -1    ""
plextor=    1,4,0    -1    -1    ""
sanyo=        1,4,0    -1    -1    burnfree
yamaha=        1,5,0    -1    -1    ""
cdrom=        0,6,0    2    1m    ""
cdrw=        1,0,0    12    30m

What can I do?