Re: Netgear Wg511 "debian way" for wireless confiuration

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 22:20, aec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just subscribed to this list and searched the archive
> for an answer to my problem with mixed results.
>
> I have a Dell inspiron 8200 that used to run Gentoo, however
> last week I decided that I wanted Debian back on this laptop
> and intalled from the sarge-rc1-installer, a brand new Sid
> install. I then upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8
>
> I have a netgear Wg511 802.11g wireless pcmcia card along with
> built in ethernet (which I am using to write this)
>
> I followed some pretty involved howto's on the gentoo user forums
> to finally get wireless working under Gentoo and am afriad I now have
> to ask for help here to do this with Debain.
>
> My card uses the prism54 driver/chipset. I have this built into the
> kernel:
>
> root@supergrass linux # grep -i prism .config
> # Prism GT/Duette 802.11(a/b/g) PCI/Cardbus support
> CONFIG_PRISM54=y
>

> I have pcmcia services running:
> root@supergrass ~ # /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
> Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[3418]: watching 2 sockets
> done.
>
> I apt-cache search'ed wireless and saw a ton of packages, with
> some looking a little bit promising
>
> wireless-tools - Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions
> wmwave - Monitor status of an 802.11 wireless ethernet link
> libiw27 - Wireless tools - library
> wavemon - Wireless Device Monitoring Application
>
> I am not sure what I need to install here and what are just auxiliary
> applications for fine tuning or somesuch.
>
> Is there a debian specific guide some one could point me too?
>
> I think i can manage by googling, but its turning up a sort of
> howto avalanche with many being only 802.11b specific, or specific
> to another distro or just plain outdated. Have things changed now that
> 2.6 has support built in for many of these cards?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> --
> Angelina Carlton
Hi There
I have exactly the same card as you and i briefly followed the wiki on
prism54.org
http://prism54.org/phpwiki/Prism54%20Debian%20HowTo?PHPSESSID=4ee80d5d53d59f2451bec907d2f05d41
if you set it up on gentoo then i presume you know how to setup the the
firmware
apt-get install wireless-tools
and then i used ifconfig to see if the card exists
ifconfig -a

it should be eth1, so i added the following to /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid ESSIDHERE
wireless-channel CHANNELHERE
wireless-key KEY HERE

then just ifup eth1 you should have networking. I'am currently writing a
howto on this so if you still have problems let me know and i'll get it
done quicker.

Cheers
| Glyn Tebbutt |		d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com |
|--------------'      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it |
| gpg-key: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg |
|    	 Lisa, if you dont like your job you dont strike, |
| 	  just go in everyday and do it really half-assed |
|		   Thats the American way. -Homer Simpson |