Sarge on HP Pavilion ze4800

Hi, I just tried to install sarge with the netinst disc and disc 1 of
the full install set.  D-I showed up and was very pretty but upon
reaching the "select your language" screen, the keyboard stopped
having any effect on anything.  Ctl-Alt-Del didn't even reboot the
thing. I looked around in the bios and didn't see any "enable
keyboard" settings or anything.

The stats on the laptop are as follows:
HP Pavilion ze4800
60 GB HDD (base 10 gigs)
512 MB RAM
AMD Athlon at 1221MHz
The CD I would like to use is sarge-i386-netinst.

I appreciate any insights you can offer on this issue.
~Nathan