RE: NX5000

Hi Enzo,

I've also a HP NX5000 with Debian sid installed (Kanotix ->
http://www.kanotix.de).
Most things are working well (NIC,WLAN,Sound,etc.). Did you publish your
hotkey and DRI enhancements elsewhere?

Markus

the main source to start has been
http://www.nanonanonano.net/linux/nx7010
which solves tricky the problem of using hotkeys (use this package).
I downloaded and modified the def files for use with hotkeys to have nute/volup/voldown working
the fact is that hotkeys mutes the volume just like doing
amixer cset numid=1 0
but it is necessary muting numid=32 (external mixer) to get working the orange light of muting :(
that URL contains a simple script (togglemute) to do so.
besides, i've noticed that using hotkeys produces side effect while watching videos in full screen (cool on screen messages about muting and vol up/down freeze on use :( ), so I'll work for mapping that keys with xmodmap, writing other scripts similar to togglemute for voluming up&down
try it, and let me know...
another fact is that headphones, master volume and external amplifier have INDEPENDENT volumes, so plugging the headphone jack the external amplifier doesn't automute! someone on the italian ml told me bout an alsamixer control which can enable automute, but i cant see it anywhere (and you? perhaps, alsa version of sid, together with a better i810 sound module work better..)

as concerns DRI, i simply generate an XFconfig-4, and uncomment the DRI line... tuxracer works ;)

1. my togglemute:
#!/bin/sh

CURRENT=`amixer cget numid=32 | tail -1| cut -f2 -d=`

NEWVAL=0

if [ $CURRENT = "off" ]
then
 NEWVAL=1
fi

# Muting External Amplifier
amixer cset numid=32 $NEWVAL
# Added muting for Master
amixer cset numid=1 $NEWVAL,$NEWVAL
# Added muting for Headphones
amixer cset numid=3 $NEWVAL,$NEWVAL

2. my nx5000.def (work in progress ;)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<definition>

 <config model="HP/Compaq nx5000 Laptop">

   <VolUp        keycode="176" adj="1"/>
   <VolDown      keycode="174" adj="1"/>
<userdef keycode="160" command="/usr/bin/togglemute">Mute</userdef>

 </config>

 <contributor>
   <name>Stuart Prescott</name>
   <email>hotkeys@nanonanonano.net</email>
 </contributor>

</definition>

3. created
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90start_hotkeys
which contains
/usr/bin/hotkeys -t nx5000
to load hotkeys in every starting session of every xsession manager (~/.xsession hurts me..)

I hope having been detailed (sorry for length!)
Have fun!
enzo

Signature: enZACcio

"Esaltando eccessivamente la libertà di internet, rischiamo infatti di navigare in futuro in una rete priva di contenuti, un Mar Morto cibernetico prosciugato
di idee"
Giuliano Urbani, ministro ai Beni culturali
(da Libero.it, 20.3.04)

"Due camminando di notte per dubbiosa via, quello dinanzi fece gran strepido col culo; e disse l'altro compagno: " Or veggo io ch'i son da te amato". "Come?" disse l'altro. Quel rispose;" Tu mi porgi la correggia perch'io non caggia, né mi perda da te."
["Due viandanti nella notte", Leonardo da Vinci, Novelle ]

Personalizza MSN Messenger con sfondi e fotografie! http://www.ilovemessenger.msn.it/