Re: dist-upgraded sarge (on Dell Inspiron 8200) and things got funky

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:36:10AM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
> Sid works fine on my inspiron 8200, with the free nv driver.
>
> Did the upgrade install a new kernel?  Have you tried booting your
> previous kernel?
>
> Try booting single-user, then running the /etc/init.d/rc2 scripts one
> by one in order to find where things are messing up.
>
> Knoppix makes a good rescue disk.  I've had to repair my laptop a
> couple of times when /lib was corrupted by a disk crash.

Thanks for the help. I haven't ungraded the kernel, but I will try single-user
mode and burn a knoppix disk before I head home today. Hopefully I will be able
to see what is causing the problem, and maybe what to do about it.

Chris

--
Christopher H. De Vries                      Phone: (617) 496-7636
Postdoctoral Fellow                          FAX:   (617) 495-7345