Re: Sarge Release?

If you are working/learning about the intricacies of the 2.6 kernel, Gentoo step you right into the middle of learning, selecting, and compiling, including your compiler options.

Ok. I agree, it's wonderful to learn!

Debian is wonderful, but, maybe it needs a 100% sourcecode compile process option, or at least a document where one could go down that path to see what/how it was done?

Have you ever thought that keeping a production system up-to-date with Gentoo, is much more time expensive than Debian? Yes, now there are multi-opteron systems but not everybody owns it. So try updating from Sarge to Sid: the time for the download + 1 hour for the installation. Gentoo? Time for the download + 1 DAY and more for the installation!!! On a pentium 4 2600 the compiling of only the KDE libraries takes about 12 hours!!! Don't you think time is important in work?

When you need new things, such as H.264, you are forced to use sid.

Maybe there are three versions of Debian because of this (Woody -> stability, Sid -> newest packs, Sarge -> mix)

All things equal, there is a ready, documented path to get to the point of being able to work on any or all aspects of a linux kernel build, device drivers, or application porting work,on the gentoo path.

Gentoo is not so stable. Amd64 Gentoo is even less developed than Amd64 Debian.

Debian sid is less documented, in my opinion.

Maybe you're right if you're talking about source code developers. But in my opinion Debian is a little more specialized for sys admins, even if it still fits developer's needs. For this reason there are more and more flavours of Linux!

Let's face it, most of linux's problems are a result on not being about to recruit a sufficient talent pool of low level embedded developers. Most of those that do convert (after a convoluted learning path) end up at a proprietary shop that puts linux on a processor, and hides the key low level details.....

Let's hope it'll stop!!! ;-) I am interested in developing drivers for Linux! And not proprietary!

I do recognize that the biggest impediment is the silicon vendors and their close relationship to the embedded tool vendors. It things remain obscure and the tools run on MS, it's a proprietary club.

:o   What a shit!

--
Alessandro Dal Grande
Student In The University Of Padua - Informatics

Put the fan back into computing

Sponsor:
Rinfresca la tua estate con i climatizzatori ed i ventilatori
* che trovi disponibili? Crios, Orieme, Hokkaido, Argo, Carrier, Vortice
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2650&d=12-8