Re: Sarge Release?

Vinu Jacob <vjacob@cbk.com>Vinu Jacob wrote:
Well, I have tried out three distro's in the past 7 months since I switched to linux. Started off with SuSE, and then installed Gentoo and now I've got Debian. Both Gentoo and Debian I did the whole install from a chrooted from SuSE, coz I can't get my modem installed without the kernel-source. Gentoo I've tried 2.4 and 2.6, stage 3 - did'nt want to try a stage 1 without acpi working well, else you will run into laptop heating problems. Kernel-compiles used to kick my temp to the 60's. But I had a fully working Gentoo 2.6.7 until a few days ago. It took me about a month to get all the hardware working including my radeon 340, winmodem, alsa and acpi. Debian - started with it about 5 days back from a sarge biz card iso over ethernet. I had my base with 2.6.7 in about an hour. Got my modem working with a third party driver and now its just playing around. gpm on console is cool:). Everything works out of the box. I feel the sarge install is the best I've seen. My temp even during installs and kernel compiles hovers in the late 40's. Even Xfree auto detected everything right upto my graphics card. Frame works only in vesa though. Next version of xorg should get that fixed. Heard its on the cards soon.

cheers..Vin

Well, this is interesting, and not uncommon. I would have to agree with you about sarge being the most desirable distro_release for new to moderately aggressive linux system installations.

Gentoo, can be tricky. Hence my interest in an official release of Sarge, for a group of converts with minimal to moderate unix skills.

thanks,
James