Power down not turning off power

Dell i8500, Sarge with 2.4.25-1-386 kernel

When I select Shut the computer down from the menu ,the laptops shuts everything
down OK but does not turn the laptop off 100%. The final text says Power Down and
I need to physically push the power button to turn the laptop off.

I found a simlar thread (below) which seems to indicate it's a ACPI issue. None
of the ACPI stuff seems to work on my Debian setup, for example no battery low
warning - the laptop just dies ona flat battery. Using Fedora Core 2 ACPI and the
power management stuff runs OK but I prefer Debian.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2004/06/msg00175.html

Any suggestions ?
---- Introducing Spymac MailPro: http://www.spymac.com/mailpro/