Re: [OT] RS232 to USB adapter

Quoting Christian Schuerer (csw@xray.at):
> Hello,
>
> unfortunately my laptop doesn't have any standard serial port (RS232), but I
> would need one for my studies. I googled if there are any linux-supported
> Serial-to-USB adapters, but didn't find anything.
>
> Does anyone know about a Serial-to-USB adapters which is known to work with
> linux? Is there maybe a generic module like for USB mass storage devices?
>
> Any help is appreciated,

Hi,

Assuming you mean USB-to-Serial adapters (it is usual to write the host
end first), then yes, they're readily available.

I have one of these [1], which worked fine when I last used it with the
generic usb-serial adapter kernel driver (under 2.4), look under 'USB
Serial convertor support in 2.6 kernels.

[1] http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40608

Have fun,

matt
--