Re: Debian an Acer Travelmate 291lmi

On 04.05.2004 04:18 Jan Koch wrote:
Hello,
last week i bought this notebook (from Mediamarkt) and wanted experience linux the first time. Because i want to understand linux i wanted to choose debian. But i have a critical problem. I can't start the installation. :( The cd and even dvd (Book: Debian GNU/Linux Peter Ganten) are booting and i can choose which kernel i would like to install. I type bf24 and the install seems to start, but not very well. Usually u see Tux after a few seconds on a new scrren (i tested this with my internet pc) but my laptops screen stays black. Anyone knows what i can do? Other distribution work without a problem (e.g. fedora, knoppix).

Hey Jan,

I don't know the exact circumstances which this debian installation makes fail. It might have something to do with the graphics card. As you chose to buy a relatively new notebook, I would suggest you use one of those live-cds, for example Morphix (based on Debian unstable) or Gnoppix (based on Debian stable with backports). The reason I suggest that is that Debian woody became pretty old and on my laptop, the ethernet card was not supported by the old kernel, the graphics card was not supported by the old XFree86 version that comes shipped with woody. So don't make your live harder as it already might be and use one of those CDs with a harddisk install or take Debian testing/sid from the beginning.

Martin