Re: Dialing by PPP doubt

Incoming from bolopsicadelico@aeiou.pt:

> Since i ain't got a fast internet connection,i was trying to get to
> the internet in my laptop,where i use Debian. I did the pppconfig but
> after that i don't know how to get to the internet! By the way, i was
> trying to get a package with apt-get.how do i configure apt to access
> the internet with my internal modem and with my ISP account?Is there a
> command to turn on the internet?do i need to change anything in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf?

This all depends on whether it's a _real_ modem or a Winmodem.  Run
"lspci -vv" and search for Communication Controller.  Mine looks like
this:

   ---------------------------------
00:10.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Action Tec Electronics Inc: Unknown device 2000
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
	Latency: 0 (63000ns min, 3500ns max)
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
	Region 0: Memory at f3ffdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Region 1: I/O ports at dcd8 [size=8]
	Region 2: I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

If it's a Winmodem, you may or may not be stuck.  See linmodems.org,
but if you're looking for the easy way out, buy a _real_ modem, either
pcmcia/pccard or external.

- -