Re: X crashes if I'm idle

I found this thread in the archives, and I am experiencing the same behavior
(on my Compaq Presario 2100 with a stock "woody" bf2.4 install).  I have
also seen that I cannot run KDE -- it simply crashes during startup.  From
everything I've read, I probably need to upgrade to Xfree86 4.3 in order to
make these problems go away, but I have some questions first.

1) In the short term (I need to get work done _today_ and can't spend the
day upgrading X), how can I turn off the screensaver?  I don't see any menu
items that refer to the screensaver; I don't see anything in my XF86Config
file that refers to DPMS (except the "Monitor" section that lists it as an
option), or to screen blank times, etc...; I don't have an "xscreensaver"
package installed.  I don't know where to start (obviously :-)

2) In the long term, is there a .deb package I can grab to perform the
upgrade to 4.3 more easily than downloading 12 different files from
xfree86.org?

TIA...

--wpd