Re: dell live dock/undock

Hi,

On Saturday 14 February 2004 06:21, Raphael Y. Rubin wrote:
> I just got a dell c dock ii for my latitude c810 and I was wondering what
> it would take to be able to dock/undock while the machine is running.

Take a look at:

http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/~park/dell.html

It mentions a package apm_i8000, that I've used some time ago to restore the
ActionTec NIC in a Dell 81K. Since the C810 and the Inspiron 8100 are
technically almost identical, pci-saveconfig (from the package) may allow to
save the PCI registers while booting in dock, then undock and finally re-dock
in combination with restoring PCI registers from the saved configuration set.
I've also used the package in order to reenable a 3Com-NIC for an Inspiron
8000 booted in its dockingstation and therefore using the dock's 3Com-NIC,
then undocked and re-docked.

Probably this gives you at least a working "re-dock". I don't know, however,
how dangerous it might become on your setup when fiddling with PCI registers,
so be careful.

Regards,
  Frank
--
 Frank Trenkamp                     frank at trenkamp dot org
 GPG fprt: FF9E 9A3A CACB D840 6866  8485 DCB1 98FA 7162 4D9C