Re: 2.4.20 kernel on sarge

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:25:21AM -0500, James wrote:
> Hello,

Your question is not laptop specific. Debian-user is a better mailing
list.

> This may seem strange, but I have need to test a old device
> driver that a vendor says works with a 2.4.20 kernel.  They
> recomend Redhat, but, say that Debian should work. So,
> on a Sarge installation, I tried:
>
> apt-get -t testing install kernel-sources-2.4.20
>
> but the package had this  error message reply:
> "Couldn't find package kernel-sources-2.4.20"

To see what kernel-source packages are available, use

  apt-cache search kernel-source --names-only

If it is not necessary to compile the kernel yourself, you can
perhaps install a kernel binary:

  apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4.20 --names-only

If on your Debian GNU/Linux system apt is configured in such a way
that the necessary kernel or source packages are not available, you
can get Linux from

  http://www.kernel.org/

All kernel versions are available, both old and new. For example, in
directory

  http://www.fi.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/

is 2.4.20 kernel.

--