Re: PCMCIA USB 2.0 Controller for Linux

Hi Florian,

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 20:45, Florian Wüchner wrote:
> I'm looking for a PCMCIA USB 2.0 Controller for Linux.
> Does anybody know which devices work with kernel 2.6.x?

I got a cheapo "Highscreen" (Vobis brand) controller for about 25€ from eBay.
It has merely printed "USB 2.0 Card PCMCIA" on its upside and "Model US2236"
on the back.

The device works fine under 2.6.x and 2.4.x (x>23) with different notebooks.
So far I had no trouble connecting USB 2.0 and 1.1 devices in varying
combinations, e.g. an active USB 2.0 hub, a Microsoft mouse, external hard
disks and a Plextor CD-Burner etc.

Works with the ehci-hcd module, but requires an explicit "cardctl eject"
before popping out the card, otherwise the kernel hangs. This is a known
problem for USB 2.0 PCMCIA controllers, though, and not specific to this
controller.

The only drawback: the controller seems to max out at about 80-100Mbit/s, but
I haven't done extensive research on this so far. No problem for me, but if
you need every bit of performance, you might want to spend more money for a
well-established brand card.

Regards,
  Frank
--
 Frank Trenkamp                     frank at trenkamp dot org
 GPG fprt: FF9E 9A3A CACB D840 6866  8485 DCB1 98FA 7162 4D9C