Re: Laptop booting

Bill Marcum wrote:
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:17:21PM +0100, bennyhat@c.dk wrote:

Hi all! I have 2 problems!

First problem: When I start my debian laptop, I boot the modules first and the daemons afterwards. As usual. But, in order for my /etc/init.d/networking script to find my eth0 nic, which is a PCMCIA card, cardmgr has to be started. And since my networking script is started before my cardmgr-daemon, It will not find my eth0, which makes it necessary for my to login as root and do '/etc/init.d/networking restart', for enabling my eth0 nick.

Remove the line "auto eth0" from /etc/network/interfaces.

The network configuration for the pcmcia-cs package is done in the file
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts. Look at the predefined environment variables here. If the cardmgr enables eth0, it also calls

	/etc/pcmcia/network start eth0

And if eth0 is disabled (unplugging the CARD, closing laptop etc.), it calls

	/etc/pcmcia/network stop eth0

For kernel 2.6, you should use hotplug for managing the PCMCIA cards (CardBus) and the hotplug system will do a

	ifup eth0=hotplug

or

	ifdown eth0

So in this case, you should configure a logical interface "hotplug" in the /etc/network/interfaces.

If you need more advise, just ask.

Cheers, Jörg

--
Joerg Thoennes