Re: wireless glitch

Derek Broughton wrote:
On January 24, 2004 04:42 pm, Tim Folger wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux and have installed debian woody release 2 on my
notebook. Just about everything works now except for one annoying
glitch. I connect to the internet using an orinoco gold wireless pcmcia
card and a wireless router that acts as a dhcp server. To connect to the

A dhcp server may well update /etc/resolv.conf (or rather, your dhcp client can do that based on what the server tells it). How long do you get on the DHCP lease? It shouldn't be too hard to tell if that's what's happening, as syslog will note when you acquire a new lease. Where is 10.0.1.1, anyway? It's a private IP address, so I'm guessing it's either your machine or your router. So either fix your DHCP client config, or your router config so that it sends the correct addresses.

Agreed, sounds like /etc/resolv.conf is getting hammered.

You could try a test... after you are up and running and you've confirmed that /etc/resolv.conf is good, chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf as root will make it so that not even root can change it. Of course, this isn't a permanent solution, but I've had to do it with things like Cisco's VPN client to keep my DHCP server here locally from changing /etc/resolv.conf after Cisco's client changes it appropriately for the remote network.

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com