Re: questions on ACPI

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:05, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen <andersa@fys.ku.dk>
wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2004 10:17, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > APM works here. As does ACPI. Running Kernel 2.6 from sid on an ASUS
> > > A1300 laptop.
> >
> > Do you have apmd installed?  What happens when you do an APM suspend?
>
> Can't say, as I have never done that. I haven't felt the need to. I turn it
> on when I need to, and turn it off again when I don't need it any more.
>
> So from my perspective apm "works" as long as the fans start up before the
> cpu burns a whole through the keyboard.

Therefore you have not tested Linux APM support at all!  Probably if you test
it you will discover that it doesn't work.

APM does not permit the OS to control fans etc.  It is totally different to
ACPI.  The fact that your fan works is a matter of hardware and BIOS, if it
didn't work then it would not be any fault of Linux's APM.