K3B CD-burning Dell 700m laptop, Only burns while root

Hi

I installed k3b to burn CD's but only able to do so while I am root.

I did all things possible (I think) to make burning for user available. I
installed cdrecord with SUID enabled, and also I updated the permissions so
that my username is in the "burning" group and also in the "cdrom" group.
When I go Settings -> Configure k3b: I can see under Devices, that my burner
is there, but as a reader and not as a writer. The weird thing is that even
though it is a reader, in the specifications, it says CD-RW = yes

Here is the output of the following command, first with user, then with root:

With User:

ben@dell700m:~$ cdrecord dev=ATAPI: -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J�g
Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

scsidev: 'ATAPI:'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CDRW/DVD CRX830E' 'KDK3' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

With Root:

dell700m:/home/ben# cdrecord dev=ATAPI: -scanbus
[...]

Thanks

Ben