Re: The Nvidia driver ????

On Monday 22 November 2004 01:35, Anders Breindahl wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2004 16:14, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> > The Nvidia driver that is on the Debian site I noticed
> > doen not make mention of the GeForce Go which
> > is in my Dell laptop. Will it still work???
>
> I supose yes. However, you shouldn't expect good 3d-performance using it. I
> had a Geforce2 Go once, and I now two, who have Geforce 4200 Go's. All with
> terrible 3d-performance.
>
> Please correct me if I'm have got something wrong - my friends would be
> most interested.
>
> Regards, Anders Breindahl.

The nv driver does work with the GeForce Go series (I have a Dell laptop, that
piece of crap). Anders is right, though - that driver (the Free one) will
give you terrible 3d performance. To get real 3d performance you need the
closed-source binary driver from Nvidia. The easiest way to add it to sarge
or sid is to add

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable/i386/
deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia modules-unstable/i386/

to /etc/apt/sources.list and

apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.6.9-1-686 nvidia-glx

or whatever version of the Linux kernel you're using.

Hope this helps.

--
Adam Lowry