Re: DVD on Thinkpad?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:15:51 +0100, Anders Breindahl <skrewz@skrewz.dk> wrote:
> Hehe, what about adding one of the following to your sources.list, and running
> `apt-get install mplayer-i586'?
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
>
> And then being able to view a DVD using the command `mplayer dvd://1' (asuming
> the symlink /dev/dvd is in place). for the first title on an unmounted media,
> and thereby skipping the threatening and menu stuff?

Personally, I've had a better experience using xine for DVDs than
using mplayer.  I *like* having working navigation, since it's much
easier to find things than guessing what "title" and "chapter" numbers
you want.  I believe the command line you gave will more-or-less work
with xine, as well.  I know that "xine dvd://" works.  The menus are
all pretty much optional, IIRC.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh