Re: how to debug a random freezing problem?

 --- Adam Butler <520015082978-0001@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Ubuntu[1] (Debian w/ 2.6.8 kernel) on my Toshiba Satellite

They have their own mailing-list.

> find out the temperature in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
> when it freezes, and it's usually around 66C, which is actually OK,
> isn't it?

Maybe. I had this once, and it turned out that the CPU generated so much
heat that the memory modules didn't like it, and so everything either
segfaulted, or a total lockup like the one you describe, occured.

66C is a little warm. I would have a look at your memory chips, identify
them, google for the specs, and compare their heat tolerant levels against
the temperature the CPU is at.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net