Re: ThinkPad T30, ACPI: backlight stays on during suspend

Hi Steven,

Steven Ihde <x-debian-laptop@hamachi.dyndns.org> writes:

> I have a ThinkPad T30 I just installed with the latest stuff from
> testing.  When I try to suspend with ACPI (echo "3" >
> /proc/acpi/sleep), the laptop appears to suspend,

it does suspend, I think.

> but the display backlight stays on.

Same here, and the image 'decays' beginning in the lower left corner,
probably because that is the warmest part of the LCD.

> If I try blanking the display through some other
> means (such as xset dpms or setterm -power), the backlight comes back
> on as soon as the ACPI sleep process starts.

For me the various xset dpms don't turn off the backlight,
just the LCD goes dark.  And setterm doesn't work either,

% sudo setterm -powersave powerdown
cannot (un)set powersave mode

> Is this a lost cause, or has anybody ever encountered and resolved
> this issue?

I don't know, I haven't yet made the effort to solve it.

> APM suspend appears to work OK, but I'd rather use ACPI if I could get
> it working.  Note, however, that I had to upgrade to a kernel compiled
> from kernel-source-2.6.8=2.6.8-7, because 2.6.8-3 through 2.6.8-6 had
> a patch that broke even APM suspend (see the kernel-source-2.6.8-7
> changelog for details and a reference to bugs).  The precompiled
> kernel images in testing and unstable (for i686) are still compiled
> from 2.6.8-3.

I have a self-compiled 2.6.9-rc1 here.

If you solve it, please keep us informed.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/

Looking for consulting and project work in Mozart/Oz, Linux kernel, USB