Re: debconf source

On October 4, 2004 12:31 pm, Ivan Glushkov wrote:

Please don't start new threads to ask old questions.  This is all based on an
apparent corrupted partition as reported in the thread 'Re: cannot execute
"/etc/init.d/rc"', but people aren't going to know that from your description
here.

> E: Cannot get debconf version. Is debconf installed?
> debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: Bad file descriptorE: Cannot get
> debconf version. Is debconf installed?
> Unpacking libc6 (from ...)...

You seem to be going about things rather the wrong way.  Fix your file
corruption first.  Then install anything you can from _binary_ packages.
Trying to install from source means that you have to worry about the status
of all your devel packages, as well as everything else you already know is
corrupted.

> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installed script: No such
> file or directory
> dpkg: error processing ...... (--unpack):
> subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
>

> I tought that the problem might be in dpkg, so i compiled it from source.
> But the error still persist.

dpkg seemed to be working.  It probably can't access /var/lib/dpkg/info/.

> 1. How and where from I can get the sources of debconf? (with "apt-get
> source --tar-only" It is not downloading nothing)
> 2. Where does apt-get read the debconf version?

I _think_ it doesn't.  I think the preinst, postinst, etc, scripts do that.

> 3. What is this pre-installed script?

 .deb files have optional pre-install, post-install, pre-rm (remove) and
post-rm scripts.  They're in the package, but after unpacking them it was
unable to find, in this case, libc6 has libc6.postinst, libc6.preinst, and
libc6.postrm in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

I'd start by looking in your lost+found for anything that looks like it
belongs in /var/lib/dpkg.

Or just reformat the partition and restore it from backup. :-)
--
derek