Re: debconf source

On October 4, 2004 12:31 pm, Ivan Glushkov wrote:

Please don't start new threads to ask old questions.  This is all based on an
apparent corrupted partition as reported in the thread 'Re: cannot execute
"/etc/init.d/rc"', but people aren't going to know that from your description

> E: Cannot get debconf version. Is debconf installed?
> debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: Bad file descriptorE: Cannot get
> debconf version. Is debconf installed?
> Unpacking libc6 (from ...)...

You seem to be going about things rather the wrong way.  Fix your file
corruption first.  Then install anything you can from _binary_ packages.
Trying to install from source means that you have to worry about the status
of all your devel packages, as well as everything else you already know is

> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installed script: No such
> file or directory
> dpkg: error processing ...... (--unpack):
> subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
> I tought that the problem might be in dpkg, so i compiled it from source.
> But the error still persist.

dpkg seemed to be working.  It probably can't access /var/lib/dpkg/info/.

> 1. How and where from I can get the sources of debconf? (with "apt-get
> source --tar-only" It is not downloading nothing)
> 2. Where does apt-get read the debconf version?

I _think_ it doesn't.  I think the preinst, postinst, etc, scripts do that.

> 3. What is this pre-installed script?

 .deb files have optional pre-install, post-install, pre-rm (remove) and
post-rm scripts.  They're in the package, but after unpacking them it was
unable to find, in this case, libc6 has libc6.postinst, libc6.preinst, and
libc6.postrm in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

I'd start by looking in your lost+found for anything that looks like it
belongs in /var/lib/dpkg.

Or just reformat the partition and restore it from backup. :-)