Re: APM: will not sleep with AC plugged in?

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:58:43 -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> Recent upgrade to Debian Sarge on a Thinkpad T23, with kernel 2.6.8,
> home-brewed.  I had initially intended to use ACPI, but I couldn't get
> it working and since APM works flawlessly on this machine, I thought I
> would stick with it.
>
> But the laptop will not sleep with the AC plugged in.  Now I've googled
> and I've seen that this is something of a 'feature' rather than a 'bug.'
> In my /etc/apm/apmd_proxy file there is the block of code:
>
> #SUSPEND_ON_AC=false
> #[ -r /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.conf ] && . /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.conf #
> #if [ "${SUSPEND_ON_AC}" = "false" -a "${2}" = "system" ] \ #	&&
> on_ac_power >/dev/null; then
> #    # Reject system suspends and standbys if we are on AC power #
> exit 1  # Reject (NOTE kernel support must be enabled) #fi
>
> but it's COMMENTED OUT!  So I think the suspension is being stopped
> somewhere downstream of apmd_proxy.  I checked BIOS settings but
> couldn't find anything pertaining to this.  The 'old' system was running
> Redhat 9 and suspended on AC power just fine.
>
> So where should I look?
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

I can't help you I'm afraid but I think you're probably right to stick to
APM.  I have been running ACPI using acpi=force as a boot parameter,
(suggested in my dmesg), I thought it was a good thing that one or two
modules that would otherwise fail were now being loaded at boot-time, but
I have had the laptop overheat on me three times now!!! All ACPI seems to
do is shut your machine down _instantly_ before it burns up!  The fan
would run constantly or not at all depending on how hot it was at a reboot
and even when it was on, it whirred away at a steady but insufficient
speed to prevent the kernel from taking drastic action.  No to ACPI!  Not
on my Dell anyhow.

sebyte

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually do.