Xircom modem/ethernet card problems

Hi,

I've got a T23 running kernel 2.4.26.

I've put a Xircom ethernet/modem card in it, because I
haven't been able to get linmodem running under
2.4.26.

The Xircom card starts off working.  The ethernet port
is registrered as eth1, and the modem as /dev/ttyS04.
So far so good.

However, if I put the machine to sleep or eject the
card, then when the machine wakes or when I re-insert
the card the modem port is not recognised.  The
ethernet port is, but it registers as eth2, and on
each subsequent eject/insert it registers as eth3,
eth4 etc.

I haven't got a clue how to start fixing this problem.
 I'm not that worried about the ethernet port, but I
really need the modem to work!

Thanks,