Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

On September 22, 2004 06:34 am, Wendy Leigh Vandoolaeghe wrote:

> I have been having problems with sound and recording etc.
> For example, on startup cd player works perfectly, but XMMS does not (on
> the ALSA plugin setting). If I change it to the OSS setting it does work.

iirc, xmms requires a plugin.  I use (well, I rarely use XMMS) xmms-arts
(because I use KDE).  I don't see such a thing for esd, though.

> Also I if want to play a DVD with totem player I get no sound, and I see
> no way of changing the settings in totem itself. Once, it did work, but i
> can't remember under which conditions.

Been there, done that.  My ALSA config just stopped working with some upgrade.
After much tweaking, I discovered that I could run alsaconf in a KDE session
and it would restore sound for the duration of that session only.  With more
tweaking, I broke even that. :-(   Then one day, for the first time in six
months or more, I logged into KDE as root, and got sounds as it started the
desktop.  Ever since, I get sound in my user account.  I haven't a clue what
happened by logging in as root, but it was obviously important.

> > You'd be wanting to use ALSA, not OSS.  Run ALSAconf.  I don't use esd,
> > but I expect you have a configuration applet to tell it to use ALSA.
>
> i have run alsaconf, but i don't know how to tell esd to use ALSA.
>
> any ideas?

Go KDE?  Sorry, but I know nothing about esd.  I just know enough to get in
trouble :-)  and that OSS is deprecated, so you can't rely on it.
--
derek