Re: Dell 8600 gdm startup problem

Sorry...

the last bit of the /var/log/XFree86.0.log says the following:

(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol:"ImPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured MOuse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such device
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered
(II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found
     No core pointer

fatal server error: failed to initialize core devices

(my mouse - the inbuilt one - never gave a problem before. in fact, it worked straight after the first debian installation.)