Re: Problem with Micron Transport Trek 2 and DMA

Robert Goley wrote:
> I have a Micron Transport Trek 2 that I have loaded Debian (Sarge) on.
> I repeatedly get DMA errors on the main console.  It complains then says
> interrupt lost and inmost cases it resets and works for a while.

I have a desktop motherboard with a via chipset that has similar
issues.  I can't say as I am happy with Via at the moment.  But they
are one of the more popular chipsets.  On any 2.4 kernel on my
motherboard I had DMA errors just like you report.  Miraculously with
2.6 the errors have disappeared.  On 2.4 I needed to disable DMA at
boot time.

> I did not see anywhere in the bios to turn DMA off.  I tried turning
> it off via "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda".  That stabilized it some.
> Speed/performance was lost but because of the pauses DMA errors were
> giving it was faster.  The down side was that then it had an DMA
> error and did not recover.  I am not sure what else to try.  Anyone
> have any ideas?

You did not say what kernel you were using.  Saying Sarge could mean
many things.

  http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=kernel-image&searchon=names&subword=1&version=testing&release=all

So let me suggest installing the latest available sarge kernel.  No
guarentee that it will have a driver that has more knowledge of your
chipset.  But it gives the best chance of it.  If that does not solve
the problem I would point to sid and installing the latest 2.6.8
kernel.

If neither of those solve the problem then I think you have no other
option than to disable DMA.  Other than digging into the root cause of
the problem at the level of the source code of the kernel driver.

Bob