IBM Thinkpad 340: Lilo installation problem

I am trying to install debian (potato) on my IBM thinkpad 340 but i have
come across serveral problems. First was the floppy drive that is fixed
using ramdisk floppy=thinkpad when using the boot floppies but the one that
is currently preventing me from proceeding is an unexplained error occuring
when it comes to intall lilo at the end of the installation. Making a boot
floppy also fails after formatting the disk. I have read about the problems
with the IBM hard disks and have tried to use the hd=.... parameter as well
but this gives the same problem. Others out there seem to have suceeded in
installling debian but none have mentioned this problem. Any help would be
great!
Thanks
Rob