Portege 3500 disk problem booting with knoppix-terminalserver

I am trying to install Debian on my Tosh Portege 3500 through PXE and knoppix-terminalserver (no cd, and it does not boot from USB either).

It boots from network very well, it is usable despite screen resolution being limited to 800x600, but it does not recognise the filesystem in the main disk.

Friends tell me it would be ok if I wanted to wipe the disk, that the problem is not with the physical device, but I need to dual-boot, and I want to respect my XP partition.

Anyone on the same boat, or who can help from a nearby one?

--javier candeira