Re: ati radeon 9700M and X

mh.. that's something to think about...

you are using cedega? does this mean you are able to run any 3d game? this is exactly what i want to do.. just for work i can use the vesa driver.. i'm now trying for days to get counter strike running.. with the driver i could look into the menu.. without the driver not even that.. cedega doesn't run.. wine does.. (cedega runs but doesn't show cs).. i think this doesn't belong to this mailing list.. it was just another interesting aspect :)

how can i use the provided driver?
i'm sure i can select it at the installtion process, can't i? ... i crashed my whole system with this damn ati stuff.. dpkg is not working anymore.. ext2 gave up :) i have to re-install the system.. by the way.. is ext3 at any better than ext2?

thanks!
Tim Taubert

Anders Breindahl wrote:

I would suggest you to urge ATI to release a driver under the GPL. Regarding your current issue, I won't and can't help you. I have the same problem, but I refuse to install anything binary-only, and I urge you to do the same. I am using the provided "ati" driver in XFree. I have no issues with this at all, and I even have limited 3d-support. (Ran Frozen Throne in cedega once, before I realized the importance of refusing binary-only software). Regards, Anders Breindahl. ---------- Original Message ----------- From: Tim Taubert <ttmails@gmx.de> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org Sent: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:23:38 +0200 Subject: ati radeon 9700M and X
i have a problem.. in order to get 3d acceleration on linux laptop working i downloaded to newest driver from ati.com.. for xfree 4.3.0... driver version is 3.11.1 i followed the instructions of several how-tos and the driver loads and when i start kdm and log in it all works... i don't know if 3d acceleration works.. i think so? at least fglrxinfo said that the renderer is the radeon card... the problem is that when i want to switch to console the system hangs and some stripes are visible... the same problem when i want to logout.. it even hangs when i want to switch to console when i'm not logged into kde.. the whole system crashed.. every time i tried and there's no way to shutdown correctly.. not even via ssh server.. the system freezed completely.. are there any settings to be made in /etc/X11/XFree86-4? and don't ask me for any logs... i looked into the xfree, kdm and xserver log.. the crash is not logged anywhere.. i hope anybody can help me! thanks in advance! Tim Taubert (ps: excuse my language :) -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
listmaster@lists.debian.org ------- End of Original Message -------