Re: intel pro wireless 2200: ndiswrapper/ipw2200

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:54:57PM +1000, sime wrote:

> >which version? I've tried 0.4 with no success.
> >anyway 0.6 was released yesterday.
>
> I've been running every release. Including 0.6, 0.7 is now out. Got the
> same experience unable to enable WEP, but it seems it doesn't load the
> wep module correclty. Which someone else has posted to the dev list, and
> I'm watching the thread.

I've tried release 0.7. Now it works fine. A few notes:

- ndiswrapper (and ipw2100) use wlan0 iface while ipw2200 uses eth1 (I
  would prefer wlan0 but that's not so important).
- ndiswrapper doesn't manage WEP while ipw2200 should do.
- I've experienced a higher cpu usage after installing ipw2200. but
  maybe there's no relation with ipw2200.
- nidswrapper can manage hardware switch states (my laptop has a switch
  on the left side that turns off wireless lan). when I turn off wlan
  iface wlan0 goes down. when I turn on iface comes up. ipw2200 cannot
  manage that.
- pay attention when removing ipw2200 modules. make uninstall deletes
  the whole wireless dir in /lib/modules/2.6.8-ecc/kernel/drivers/net/
  this results in deleting other modules (if compiled), such as orinoco
  and so on. that's a 0.7 release problem: release 0.6 create its own
  directory called ipw and deleted that upon make uninstall.

bye
--
Leonardo Canducci
GPG Key ID: 429683DA