Sleep button Compaq Armada m700

Title: Sleep button Compaq Armada m700

I recently installed Debian 3.0r2 on a Compaq Armada M700. I would like to be able to put the machine to sleep without having to shut it down all the time, but the sleep button (which did work when I had Fedora installed) just beeps at me.

I am computer literate, but not a professional, am relatively new to linux, and even newer to debian. Could someone provide a straight-forward set of steps to get my laptop to go to sleep?

Andrew Wilson