Re: ACPI: manipulate trip_points om thermal_zone

Le mercredi 25 Août 2004 17:50, Christoph Bier a écrit :
> Hello!

Hello

> At the end of last week I brought my Laptop to my hardware dealer,
> because it smelt burnt suddenly at the beginning of last week---but
> without observing any impairment of functionality. My hardware
> dealer couldn't find anything, but said, that my fan activates too
> late. He observed activation not until 69°C; sometimes it starts up
> at 63°C or 65°C with me, but I wouldn't contradict completely,
> because his statement corresponds to the following output:

> My questions:
> -------------
> - are the default trip_points really too high?

I have an ASUS L2400D with an Athlon 1600+ and my processor was always running
at 80°C, sometimes, the temperature rose to 90°C. And my laptop is always in
good health.

nicolas@conchita:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
critical (S5):           109 C
passive:                 90 C: tc1=1 tc2=4 tsp=300 devices=0xcefe99c0
active[0]:               70 C: devices=0xcef29620

> - how can I manipulate the trip_points lasting and effective?

I never succeed.

> - is there a comprehensive description of ACPI in kernel 2.6 and
> information how to the user can use resp. manage these features
> (e.g. I still don't know, whether I need some tool to use PowerNow!
> or whether the kernel controls it itself)?

I installed athcool (apt-get install athcool) and now it runs at 65°C.
Moreover, I installed cpufreqd and the temperature falls to 50-55°C !

> Thanks for reading this long posting!
>
> Best regards,
> 	Christoph

Nicolas.