Re: clean storage device

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 10:34, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I is rather not a 100% laptop question but it is due to the small storage device on my laptop (30 GB on IBM T40).
> I partitioned my harddrive and left 11GB for my / directory. My home directory holds more or less 3 GB, nevertheless do I get into trouble at the moment because the partition is full.
> What is filling my / directory? and how do I get rid of these files? The operating system does definitely not use +/- 8 GB because I previously removed  many packages and nothing happened.

Check with 'du -s /* | sort -n' where most space is being used, drill
down from there.

Try running 'apt-get clean' as root to cleanup old packages

Run a find for large files 'find / -size +100000000c'

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT