esd, alsa and APM suspend

Hello. This is a problem that I've been tinkering with for a while but haven't found a good solution to.

I have an IBM ThinkPad 600E. I have ALSA working (using the CS4236 driver, not CS4610, as directed by alsaconf). I use APM, and I believe it's not possible to use ACPI - the kernel puts up some message about the BIOS being too old. And since I want sound under Gnome, I run esd.

The problem is that, after I suspend and resume, esd hangs, so badly that it can't be killed. Then any process that tries to use esd hangs too.

I have tried doing esdctl standby and esdctl resume. I have tried sending SIGSTOP and SIGCONT. Neither of these seems to reliably solve the problem. I've also tried killing esd and respawning it after resume, but then any running clients (such as Gnome) stop producing sound. Part of the problem is that the esd documentation is really not that great.

Has anybody else had this problem, and has anybody managed to solve it satisfactorily?

Thanks
Martin Bright

--
Martin Bright
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool