Re: rdist like thing for Windows / Linux

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Simon McCartney wrote:

> Thomas Amm wrote:
> > Michael K O'Brien wrote:
> >
> >> Hola~
> >>
> >> I've got a Linux laptop (Debian unstable) I need to syncronize with a
> >> Windows
> >> XP box. I'm looking for something like rdist to intelligently sync the
> >> two.
> >>
> >> Other than cygwin's rdist, can anyone recommend something?
>
> Unison?  You'd need samba going somewhere...the Windows GTK port isn't bad.

Unison is a good programme, but it has difficulties with international
characters in file and directory names (they are not transferred
correctly) when syncing between Windows and Linux. (See some other posts
of mine on the debian-user list and see the unison-user list archives)

You don't need samba to run unison (afaik), but you need unison running on
both systems.

Cheers, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)